Tuesday, January 29, 2008

GIS 215 Class #2

So, in regards to class number 2. . .

I thought it was a really good overview/introduction (depending on perspective) of data models. Certainly the class exercise hammered home the importance of considering the fluidity, or lack there of, between the various model types. It seems to me (naive computer user) that the importance of deleting obsolete fields on the fly so that one does not have to be confounded by not-updated geometry is significant. Why does the software not do this? Certainly it can create a number of fields on its own.

I thought the video was useful as well. I have never used CAD so most of it was beyond me, but it did familiarize me with some new vocabulary. I am constantly learning how much I do not know about GIS. New to me are that there are ArcGIS servers and Map Services. And what is the advantage for using something like CAD to draw contour lines???

I have so far to go!

Until Next Time - Jill

No comments: