Monday, January 21, 2008

GIS Class #1

About class one. . .
I found reviewing Microsoft Access quite enlightening. I guess it has been more years than I care to admit since I have used it and truthfully, it was like looking at a brand new program. I thought the tutorial was a nice way to introduce Access and can imagine I will refer to it often in the future. Acces seemed fairly user friendly. In fact, I found using Access much easier than trying to build a new database in ArcGIS even though they should be similar. Granted I am a new user of ArcGIS and was pretty much just muddling through when I made a GIS database, I am now wondering if it is common practice to build a database in Access and then import it into Arc?

Other than that, I am excited to be back learning more about GIS. I think it is a phenomenal tool/field and I look forward to the rest of the semester.

Jill

PS - now for the more flippant ; )
Is it possible to put a song on a blog? Like a theme song perhaps? "Get Out the Map" by the Indigo Girls is a fun one, although if anyone out there has any mapping related song that inspire them, I would love to hear about it!

No comments: